What’s The Vacuum Casting Molds Machining?
Vacuum casting molds is also referred to as polyurethane casting. The process is ideal for prototyping and low volume production run on plastic parts. Known for its versatility and inexpensive silicone molds, the process is often overlooked when arriving at a quick conclusion of how it works. We offers whole process solution for sample, vacuum casting molds and secondary finishing services, We will help you to create high highly quality samples for your needs.
How to do the vacuum casting molds machining
- Vacuuming casting qualifies as a multiple process allowing for fast turnaround times.The first step requires a master model, either by CNC or SLA printing.These are hand-finished to produce a neat surface. At this stage, one can apply polish or textures to get a glossy appearance.
- The second step involves covering the master model in liquid mold while in a special container. This then hardens the mold. The original is cut from the tools revealing an inner cavity.
- The third step involves casting the parts. A wide range of polyurethanes is involved in this process. When A and B materials mix together and pour on the tool cavity, the whole idea is cured with a vacuum to get rid of air bubbles.
- The last stage involves removing the finish parts that might have a lot of flash from the soft tool materials.The last two steps can be rerun to cast out further reproductions.
The type of silicone relied upon by the tools rely on a given tolerance level and finish that requires a suitable geometry of parts which can achieve 10 to 20 reproductions per tool. This is how parts are made from this process.
What’s the benefit of vacuum casting molds?
- Functional prototypes and visual models have good feature and surface finish.
- Polyurethane a wide range of rigidity, temperature tolerance, color and texture.
- Low cost for silicon molds, delivery time in a few days,
- More types of plastic materials are available such as ABS, PP, PC.
- Suitable for small lots customs requirement such as 10pc to 50pc.
- It is good supplement for transparent parts rapid prototype, as bridge between engineering and production.
Disadvantage of vacuum casting molds
- The vacuum casting main used for PU materials, some of them can’t be recycled
- It is not suitable for mass production. When you want to do mass production, you have to switch to the plastic injection tooling.
The secondary finishing for vacuum casting molds
The parts can also be colored – a process generally is done by hand and requires lots of concentration to achieve precise results. That means, to get an exact color match, you will have to paint it.
Silicone tools are generally soft and carry lots of flashes that requires cleaning. This also affects the level of tolerances required when achieving a good fit where precision is required.
Vacuum casting is the best solution for rapid prototyping and applies to low volume production of CNC machined plastic parts during their development, engineering, and market testing. As a highly flexible process, you will understand the limitations and make the right pick when it actually makes sense to your situation.
Any questions or RFQ for metal& plastic technology and custom machining, welcome to contact us below
Call +86-0(755)-89492523 or Send an inquire to us
Welcome visit us, any metal and plastic design and machining questions, we are here to support you. Our services email address: