Guide to Blanchard and Precision Grinding Process
The precision grinding process is very important to our machined industry like machinery, aerospace, medical and more. When seeking out a suitable metal CNC machined workshop, it is best that you first understand the type of services available. By now, you are probably privy to some terms referring to services in the fabrication industry. Therefore, Creatingway offers a multitude of these services. One such service helps in creating a finished product. Grinding is such a process and we will delve into what it entails, its different variations and the pros and cons of each method. In fact, currently, there is two factors included part tight tolerance or higher surface smooth from customers’ need, we have been used grinding process to meet them.
What is precision grinding process?
Grinding is technically a cutting process that we use in trimming away unwanted metal sections. It has many similarities to other types of cutting or trimming processes that we utilize in metal fabrication. It also has many differences that distinguish it from them. Hence, we categorize it as a finishing process.
Grinding uses abrasives that to shape metal parts into the exact requires dimensions. Our workshop and a grinding wheel that we equip with the abrasive on its edge. The wheel turns directly against metal and it gradually cuts away pieces of the metal to the specific calibrations.
Uses of grinding
We primarily utilize grinding in trimming away irregular metal pieces to enable us to produce an exactly fitting final prototype. So that we prefer this technique over other cutting methods as it capable of eliminating even the tiniest metal shavings. Grinding also helps us in smoothening the edges by removing any ruggedness and ridges. Aberrations are equally eliminated. The process is also a kind of shaving as we use it more for smoothening rather than cutting away metal pieces.
The greatest advantage this process offers is its ability to be precise. The grinding machines can perform the smallest of tasks with near perfection. Hence, we can use this technique to smoothen small fitting parts.
Types of grinding
There is two main machined process on grinding to our machined parts as below.
- Blanchard grinding
- Precision grinding
Tips of two main processes for your projects
We use Blanchard grinding in finishing large portions of plate stock, die blocks, rotatory table and stampings.
It is a process that arose and was named after the Blanchard Machine Company of Cambridge. This system provides a quick and uniquely cost-effective method for cutting away large metal shards over a large surface area. Though it is not as accurate as other grinding methods, it is more precise than other cutting methods.
Rotatory surface grinding is its other name and it utilizes unique holders or magnetic to hold the metal parts in fixed positions. We connect this to a wheel that mounts on a vertical spindle. We operate the machine by rotating the spindle in the direction opposite to which the magnets hold the object. On completion of grinding, the Blanchard machine leaves a unique cross-hatching pattern across the ground surface. This adds an additional visual special effect to the object’s final appearance. We frequently use Blanchard grinding on ferrous metals and even certain plastics.
What’s the advantage?
- It is a fast process. Other methods of grinding require a longer time to achieve equally precise results. Blanchard grinding offers a quick and efficient process making it an overall effective process.
- It has cost-effective. Its economic advantage gives it an edge over other competing grinding processes. This cost translates to cheaper pricing to our esteemed clients.
- It is excellent for large surface areas. Some grinding techniques are preferred for small surfaces for precise results. Blanchard grinding is different as it perfect for large surfaces.
What’s the disadvantage?
- It is less accurate. Due to this lack of accuracy, we limit its use for projects that have a tolerance of over 0.001 inches.
- It leaves grinding marks. The hatching pattern may be visually appealing to some of our clients but to others, it is as a nuisance.
What’s the applications for precision grinding process?
We use this process when working on precision metal parts. It is more accurate than the Blanchard grinding process. There are a variety of methods under precision. The subsets of precision grinding that we do practice at Creatingway include,
Horizontal surface grinding
In this technique, we deploy a highspeed rotating wheel onto a flat surface or component.We can use this process to make the surface finishing under mirror polishing less than RA0.4, or better. Furthermore, we can use it to the part tolerance under +/-0.001mm too.
This method enables us work on smoothening curved surfaces or components.
In both, a wheel grinds the surface down to the specific dimensions. The resultant product is smooth and devoid of any bumps or markings.
What’s the advantage?
- It is accurate. From the name itself, precision grinding offers precise results, especially when working on small components. No specifications are to minute to deserve and receive its attention.
- It is versatile. Precision grinding has a lot of subsets under it which makes it a diverse process. This enables us to work on every possible variety of components.
- It offers a smooth finish. Precision grinding uniquely differs from the Blanchard grinding as it does not leave behind any cross-hatching pattern on the surface. This perfect for painting or powder coating.
What’s the disadvantage?
- It is mainly compatible with small applications. We use it for small scale metal machined processes as it is difficult to apply in shearing off large chunks of material.
- It is slower than Blanchard grinding. This is a process that achieves high levels of accuracy but has to compromise on speed.
Creatingway has experts in the field of centreless grinding and we do offer the best advice on the grinding process that suits your project. Contact us now for any further inquiries and a no-obligation grinding quote.
Creatingway is concentrated on CNC machining manufacturing, prototype machining, low-volume manufacturing, metal fabrication and parts finishing services, provide you the best support and services. ask us one inquire now.
Any questions or RFQ for metal& plastic technology and custom machining, welcome to contact us below
Call +86-0(755)-89492523 or send an inquiry to us
Welcome visit us, any metal and plastic design and machining questions, we are here to support you. Our services email address: