How To Know The Difference Alodine and Anodize Coating?
Both Anodize and alodine surface coating are chemical processes that are used to create an oxide protective barrier on certain metal types. When this barrier is applied to metals like aluminum parts, it acts as a protection of metals from corrosion.
The difference between anodizing and Alodine coating is the process of creating or applying the cost and the barrier. In preparation, Alodine treated metals need to be etched with acid first and foremost. Hence, to prepare an Anodizing surface, it must be placed in a saltwater tank and clean of debris.
Anodize and alodine are procedures applied to prevent corrosion of magnesium and aluminum surfaces. The results are similar; hence; the processes differ in the application of the protective coating.
What’s the Alodine surface coating for aluminum parts?
Alodining is the process of coating a metal with some chemical called Alodine. This coating can last for many years since it hardens to the surface and does not necessarily require reapplication.
Pros of Alodine
- An inexpensive process
- Allows the painting of metals since it serves as a primer
- It gives good corrosion protection, protects even when scratched
- It gives a good electrically conductive surface
- Paint sticks well to it; in other cases, it substitutes for primer.
- Adds little weight
- It does not change the dimensions of parts (does not reduce the size of holes).
- Does not require cleanup after application
- Does not require skill to apply or electricity
Cons of Alodine
- If the temperature of the tank is below 70 degrees, faren height shouldn’t be applied.
- The Alodine surface is not durable like good paint or anodizing
- You can not Alodine assembled parts (nor can you anodize them.)
- To dispose of spent tank contents is a problem.
How To Do Aluminum Parts Alodining Surface Coating?
To clean off all the glue ink and other stuff wipe off the parts with acetone.
- If at all the parts are bright Alclad rubs them with a fine scotchbrite pad to take off the shine. If the part is an extruded angle and not clad, remove the oxide layer aggressively using scotchbrite products such as discs or polishing wheels. Alclad parts that form into ribs and bulkheads and their finish are dull do not require the rubbing with a scotchbrite. Also, freshly machined parts do not require scotchbrite.
- Wash only in dishwashing detergent thoroughly ( do not try to use another detergent as this will be met with total failure). There is a film of water that is unbroken after washing the part. If the water film does not cover some areas, it meanings that it has grease, so we should wash it again.
- For approximately 3 minutes immerse the part in an acid tank.
- Dip rinse in the barrel of acid rinse
- For 3minutes immerse the part in the Alodine tank slowly moving the part around every 30 seconds.
- Dip rinse in the barrel of Alodine rinse.
- Consider blow drying the part to keep of drip marks
- For 12 to 24 hours avoid handling the part roughly since fresh alodine film gets damaged easily, however; it will harden over time
What’s the anodization surface coating for aluminum parts?
Anodization is the process of immersing metals in salts solutions and running current through the parts. This creates a protective coating as it attracts metals out of the salt and onto the metal’s surface.
Pros of anodizing coating
- Gives protection to the metal of a uniform coating.
- The coating is very thin(.0002-0012”) in comparison to powder coat and paints. We almost can ignore the thickness for machined parts.
- Extremely durable abrasion resistant hard and long-lasting.
- The coating doesn’t chip or peel.
- Coating lasts indefinitely.
- Protects corrosion excellently.
- Withstands salt-spray and various tests extremely well.
- The finish is environmentally friendly, simple inorganic chemicals that have a little environmental impact are involved in the production.
- The price is competitive with powder coating and painting.
Cons of anodizing coating
- We have to use specialized equipment (the facilities cost is high) and reduce environmental pollution.
These processes involve electricity and chemicals. So we must pay more attention to safety precautions. Also, we have to do the proper training and equipment inspection.
At creatingway, our services include CNC turning &CNC milling parts, surface grinding, EDM, CNC lathe parts, rapid prototype, parts finish services, and assembling. We provide a vast range of metal and plastics materials. We complete your rapid machining projects from the single prototype to volume production. Our experienced team of engineers has advanced manufacturing facilities and will take you to one-stop services for all your upcoming projects.
Creatingway is concentrated on CNC machining manufacturing, prototype machining, low-volume manufacturing, metal fabrication and parts finishing services, provide you the best support and services. ask us one inquire now.
Any questions or RFQ for metal& plastic technology and custom machining, welcome to contact us below
Call +86-0(755)-89492523 or Send an inquiry to us
Welcome visit us, any metal and plastic design and machining questions, we are here to support you. Our services email address: